Friday, December 21, 2007

Retro Party

Our company relived the 70’s disco craze for this year’s Christmas Party. I didn’t know that such would be the theme neither would there be a theme (the previous years’ simply, Christmas) although it so happened that last year our department party was themed 80’s.

The previous week, I had decided to skip the event since it coincided with exams in school. However, a memorandum declaring a shortened working time on the big day came in a couple of days before the party hence my office pals convinced me to take the exam earlier than scheduled. Fortunately, my prof agreed.

The party was held in the long hall of the Exhibit and Convention Center which was used as the banquet during the Ad Congress. The program took off with energizing numbers by a guest band which played the era’s hits with an enthralling rendition of “Stand by Me” first in the playlist. Watching how it stirred the crowd groove- ecstatic in the early part of the program, I must say that the music of the 70’s isn’t as old school as I thought it was. I myself was bobbing my head along with the beat in no time!

Every department had to prepare its own meal but still each office was given a whole lechon (Philippines’ traditional roasted pig) as a compliment from the management. A feast indeed! Various prizes were raffled at intervals ranging from bags, cash, cell phones, and appliances such as DVD players, microwave oven, 21” TV, etc. There are plenty of prizes that the raffle wasn’t done even if most of the crowd had left late in the night. The small items (although not small in cost/worth) were just tossed to the crowd.

The highlights of the program include the dance competition among the different business units with 25K pesos at stake, and there’s this surprise digital presentation where the bobbing heads of our CEO, one of his deputies and a manager were placed on animated bodies dancing to the beats of “I Will Survive” and “Rock This Party” . We laughed hard and cheered on for the bosses who participated in the dance competitions as well.

Employees of different sizes and ages who dressed for the occasion are also noteworthy. I enjoyed looking on intensely colored bold prints, geometric patterns, and plaids, and of course wide headbands on the ladies and bushy afros of the men. My outfit (shirt and hat were bought just that morning) was likewise a scene-stealer which earned raves although it’s more pop than 70’s. Well, unconventional is my style. Besides, what do I know about the 70’s? My parents are not even acquainted with each other yet during those times.

From the Convention Center, we proceeded to my boss’ place where a bountiful dinner was set. Certainly, it’s a season of merry-making!

No comments: