Saturday, March 31, 2007

Post-High School Upgrades and Trademarks

The newspaper isn’t actually a newspaper for me; it’s the comic and lifestyle sections I’m usually after. One of my favorite reads from the Philippine Daily Inquirer is their 2bU! feature every Wednesday and this week’s articles are rather timely for March’s trademark event – graduation that is. Among the features was a survey on what had changed and what remained since graduating from high school. I find that interesting especially that most of the respondents were just few years ahead of me and are now either pursuing their MAs or working with the country’s renowned companies.

Since it’s the last day of the “Graduation Month”, I decided to publish my own response. *wink*

Let’s start with the changes…



  • I had grown taller and now maintains and an average built compared to being few inches fatter when in high school. I have a healthier diet and am doing well into sticking to it so far.
  • Back then, I was loyal to the classic sided hairstyle combed flat in place whereas now, I’m more open into trying new looks letting my stylist work his craft. I had also invested on a more functional wardrobe at least having adequate variety of the “must-haves”. Back then, I had no more than 5 XL T-shirts, a pair of denim jeans, and a pair of leather loafers. Figure out how I survived PE without rubber shoes…
  • Thankfully, I have regained a strong drive for my studies. I’m doing well in my academics compared to always being in the bottom 10 of the class. I now manage to maintain a balance between academics and extracurricular.
  • I became a passionate reader and eventually developed my writing skills. I used to be satisfied with being verbally fluent but could not distinguish past tense from past participle. Throughout high school, I could not recall that I submitted any book or film review; I simply hate it!
  • I graduated from high school not knowing how to use undo nor to shut down a computer. Now I sometimes tire working with computers.
  • I’m more motivated and confident; not easily affected by petty criticisms. I’ve learned to love myself more rather than be in vain struggling for recognition while being somebody else. Plus, I’ve learned to be tactful.
  • I’m enjoying a little extra independence while trying my best not to abuse it but rather learn more of life with it.

Now, here are what remained…

  • Being the assertive person who knows the right time to speak up and stand for the things I believe in.
  • Being appreciative of other people’s worth and I'm trying to reciprocate kindness by being a good friend
  • My abundant stock of patience
  • Finding joy in life’s simple pleasures and love for a good laugh
  • My determination to get through life’s tests trying to get up after each fall.
To top it all, the contributor wrote, “a nerdy graduation photo is not just a face frozen in time; it is a symbol of a fork in the road and how the path we have taken has transformed us into the persons we have become “, below is my graduation pic and few others I found for you to admire but more likely, oh well... make fun of. (^^,)



Graduation Day




JS PROM, 3rd Year (Standing, L-R: Emcee, Emcee, Miss Juniors, Miss Alma Mater. Seated: Program Coordinator)


JS Prom, 4th Year

No comments: