Monday, March 5, 2007

A Weekend of Beauty Pageants

I was invited by my alma mater to be a judge for this year’s Search for Mr. and Ms. ACLC which was held last Saturday, March 3, as part of their 10th anniversary.

AMA Computer Learning Center Olongapo was my first school for tertiary education (but is rightfully a technical school rather than a college) from where I earned my Associate in Computer Programming.

I myself had been a contestant in several pageants but it was my first time to be invited to judge such event and I was so excited about it. The first thing I did after being informed of it by Ma’am Shan was to text my instructor for a subject where I was supposed to have an oral defense on about the same time as the show. I asked whether I may have my defense on an earlier schedule which thankfully he agreed to squeeze me in his other class slated 2PM.

The call time was 6PM, I showered at about 5. I did my make-up and got dressed but did not wear my barong yet. I rode a tricycle to the venue which is just two streets from ours carrying the garment in a hanger and covered with a clear plastic. There were just few people in the park when I arrived; most are the staff still busy setting up the computers, projector, lights and other stuff while the candidates are being prepped up in the dressing booth. I greeted Ma’am Vanz, the school director, and some others including Ma’am Rose, who was our college dean in another school and was also invited as juror. We exchanged some hellos and waited until the show started at about quarter to 8.

This year’s theme was wedding and for the first part of the show, the candidates did not wear bridal gowns but rather dresses likely worn by the entourage. I must say that despite several blunders due to short preparation, the candidates did an amusing opening number. Even during the production, we had to keep a keen eye to the contestants because scores shall be tabulated immediately after to determine the “Best Performers”.

Another highlight and perhaps the most cheered portion of the event was the “Stag Party/Bridal Shower Costume”. I find this a good shift from the typical swimwear portion. The ladies wore their respective interpretations ranging from sadistic cowgirl costume to lacy lingerie while the men are ruggedly shirtless. The girls did a sexy stint in the horizontal steel bar on the stage while the guys, although some are already shirtless, did some striptease on chairs.

During the formal wear and Q&A, I was most attentive to details. Believe me! I might have been very meticulous but I did stretch my neck just to catch a glimpse whether the men are wearing the right color of dress socks with their formals! (Simon Cowell must have been my friend. HaHa)

All in all, the whole program turned out successfully and we had a great time although we experienced drizzles thrice and had to cover our heads with the folder for our score sheets. It rained lightly during the final photo ops.

More than having been invited, I am glad that the event served as a reunion with my former mentors and friends in ACLC. Andrea, my fellow winner during our pageant in 2002 also came as a judge and I must say that this lady has sustained her admirable traits since our reign and eventually gets prettier each time. Sir Hodge’s warmth has never ceased since our old times as mentor and student; he truly deserves all the success he now has. I was also surprised to see again our curriculum adviser in high school, Dr. Roger Nuqui, who did a marvelous job in hosting the event keeping it interesting from start to end.

I must also thank Erwin Gonzales and his staff, Jessa and Rona, who always sponsor the stunning barongs I wear in my events. This time, they lent me a brown jusi barong embroidered with bamboo design. (It’s a funny coincidence that all three of us, judges, wore brown that night)

The rain had died down. The program was over by about 11PM. I haven’t spotted a tricycle around the area and I walked the damp way home which I didn’t really mind because it’s dark and only very few people are on the streets; I can hardly be recognized.

When I got home, I had my dinner while watching another pageant – the Binibining Pilipinas 2007 coronation. I only stayed up until the Q&A for the semi-finalists.

True, I may have graduated from ACLC Olongapo 4 years ago but I never was completely separated. Whatever I may have achieved now, ACLC has significantly contributed to my professional and personal growth. My humble beginning in the Mr. ACLC pageant in 2002, has been more than a victory already won. A petty school pageant it might have been but it’s the springboard that made me confident and competent in my succeeding competitions. I had relinquished the title last year, but the Mr. ACLC in me lives on.

More and more computer schools enter the arena as the years go by. I believe that ACLC Olongapo could skillfully keep pace, “a decade and beyond”…



My English instructors then - Ma'am Nitz and Ma'am Shan


Receiving the token of appreciation from Ma'am Vangie and Sir Hodge

No comments: