Thursday, June 28, 2007

Colorful Makeover

Alright, the title is exaggerating. It’s not really colorful as the suffix implies but I had random streaks of color. For the first time in my life I finally had the guts to try highlights. Until 2 years ago, I had so much fuss with my hair – traditional barber cut which gets wavy as it grows long, and drying to shampoo and styling gel – hence I refused getting highlights when my first stylist in the same salon recommended it. I can’t recall the strongest among all my personal reasons for having it done but one of these is that I got very stressed with things about work that I seem to get tired of how I look.

Straight from the office last June 14, I went to the salon to have the mission carried out finally since the last time I was there with my sister I had the cost estimated already. Fortunately, the service is on promo; 50% off the dye rate if you’re also having your hair cut and that charged me roughly 300 Pesos (US$ 7) to have both services done.

I told Ma’am Lannie, my trusty stylist, that I cannot have a color which is too bold since I am working and that wouldn’t look very good with me wearing a formal uniform. But being a professional she already know that of course. While I am being shampooed by another staff, she asked me whether I like the color she’s pointing in the chart. Golden brown is a bit brighter than the color I picked when I had the estimate which is rather a discreet shade of brown. I find it fine since it belongs to the same color genre in the chart.

She cut my hair first; a textured cut which I think is both trendy and functional because the fresh-out-of-the-bed look makes it easier to style at the same time my hair won’t look “heavy” on the sides when it grows long because the strands vary in length. That simply suits my busy life.

Next, she put a rubber cap on my head then punctured holes on it pulling random strands out. Pardon my ignorance but I asked her why she rubbed talcum powder in the cap before she placed it on. I’ll not tell you her answer. :-) She had asked another staff to prepare the substance while she’s working my hair.

I later found out that the first chemical she combed in my mane bleaches the natural color first. It smells like pee! She wrapped it in plastic then had it steamed for some time. When done and had cooled, she had me rinsed again before finally applying the dye which of course we let stand for some more minutes to hold fast but didn’t need steaming again. There was the smell of ammonia once more. Finally, the rubber cap was taken off and I was shampooed once more then she showed me how to style it while doing it herself. The whole treatment and service consumed two hours but it’s good enough to know that the salon is meticulous to have it done properly.

I am just happy with the makeover even when my conservative parents aren’t appreciative of it. Well, I’m receiving more compliments than criticism but despite all these, the fact that I felt good with it is what matters.

I enjoy sporting the look. I’m having great hair – not days, but weeks!


Styling by Going Straight. Photos by Nomer

No comments: