Thursday, June 28, 2007

Model Student

This happened more than a month ago already but I decided to hold blogging about it until I have something to show as evidence although up to now, only two are all I got. (Actually, just both sides of a single sheet)

I just got back in the office few minutes after lunch break when I received a text message from Mr. Bert (an instructor and friend) asking me to call the school immediately. He was out when I did so I just left my return number. It turned out that he needs me to be among the models for a photo shoot for the school brochure scheduled in a couple of hours. I was surprised and anxious because of the short notice. After going over the concept quickly (I am to portray a corporate executive) and asking assurance that they provide my wardrobe, I agreed to go. However, I said that I’ll just follow to the studio so I may go home first, have a quick rest, shower and prepare.

I arrived for the shoot wearing my personal black dress pants, black leather lace-up and a wash-and-wear shirt. I was glad to find out that the other models were my co-candidates in the school pageant last year except for the other guy who joined the contest the year before nonetheless all of them are my friends. I was given time to change to a blue shirt and suit and knot my necktie that I brought along. Three solo shots of me holding a laptop then the others were called again for some group takes.

After the pictorial, we learned that one of the ladies shall record a radio ad. We went to the station which is just a block away from the studio still wearing our costumes from the shoot but thankfully we didn’t have to walk.

We waited while Bert and Don Jones (a resident jock) discussed the concept of the ad and they had agreed to revise the script. Originally, it should have been about two mothers talking about where to enroll the child of one and it was changed to peers making recommendations to one of their friends who just moved in the city and is scouting for a college to transfer to. Don Jones suggested that it will do the commercial good if all of us shall do the recording because the current ads of other schools were taped with the radio jocks’ voices. With us doing the ad, the public will hear fresh voices on air.

We were both excited and reluctant at first. We were asked to go over the script aloud for three times for the warm up then in between the 4-7PM “Power Play” program, we squeezed in recording in the booth. Some of the ladies had to repeat some parts as the jocks coached them on the appropriate intonations. Modesty aside, I completed my part in single take! *wink*

I wish I could obtain a sound file of the whole ad and upload it for you to hear but anyway here’s an excerpt instead.

Transferee Friend: What could Lyceum offer to a student like me?

Male Friend: …its approach to learning is holistic. The focus is not only to sharpen our academic acumen but also to develop our interpersonal relationships.

Me: With state-of-the-art facilities like fully air-conditioned classrooms, 1:1 computer-student ratio, high tech speech laboratory, nursing and caregiving laboratories, HRM laboratory, and the latest wireless Internet laboratory that can be accessed within 300m even by a non-Lycean! All of these for a very affordable tuition fee.

The recording turned out great and fun! Afterwards, we all enjoyed hearty snacks together financed by school funds.

Since May, the radio ad was aired until mid of this month I think and I had heard it in 3 air times daily although there are few other slots at K-Lite FM (local affiliate of Voice of America)

Check out the brochure below although pardon the typos and redundancies; we have nothing to do with the content. *tsk tsk* What do you think am I doing with the laptop why am I smiling big? Hmmm…


No comments: