Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Qualifying for PAC’s Protocol

Despite how rigid my October activities had been, one notably interesting thing that happened is my acceptance as a student volunteer for the 20th Philippine Advertising Congress (PAC) to be held here in Subic on November 21 to 24.

It was really unexpected considering that I was among what I personally label as “compensatory batch”. Foremost, due to the nature of the congress, priority recruits are students taking up fields similar to Mass Communications, Business Administration, and Tourism. Second, the first call for volunteers ended early September and I was hesitant to submit an application then. I was just enticed by my peers from the Engineering Department who also filled-up application forms when the second opportunity knocked.

An interview was scheduled on a Saturday morning (October 6) and there were some 50 other students who came from our school and another one. My friends and I felt a little intimidated to see a number of them “dressed for the occasion” as we would say while we came in denim pants and shirts and I haven’t even styled my hair with my trusty crème. Thankfully, I always have with me my ChapStick to swipe on and make my lips look hydrated.

I belonged to the first set interviewed. Although we’re given little time to give answers, the queries were not tough – the interviewers seem to be. You know how one appears courteous for the sake of professionalism but wouldn’t initiate a conversation on a casual setting. But I guess that’s normal especially that they’re the bosses of the committees.

A week after, I’ve learned the good news through another qualifier and friend. I’m considering my experience as a volunteer for the 23rd Southeast Asian Games a couple of years ago as my greatest asset over the others. I’m excited enough to be accepted but being accepted for the committee on protocol is a bonus. As how the orientations go, it’s convincing that the Protocol Volunteers are given priority. As of this writing, I haven’t heard news that the results for other committees have been released already. Second, Protocol Volunteers are to be issued custom-made uniforms; our measurements had been taken by the couturier and we’ll be wearing a different one everyday in the duration of the congress. Third, when I’ve met the other qualifiers during the measurements, I can tell that they certainly are selected few: I’ve met them in various local pageants hence the beautiful faces in the city. Ahem. I belong! :-)

So much with the excitement, I hope nothing gets on the way and I’ll do well in the training.

No comments: