Thursday, March 13, 2008

I [Feel] So Sorry

I missed the telecast of this year’s Binibining Pilipinas (Miss Philippines) coronation night; the first time in years. I was disappointed upon learning from my cousin that she had watched it the night before. It seems to me that the event lacked publicity – that is before it was held.

I was bugged by my curiosity regarding its outcome until the evening news featured former winner of the pageant-turned-actress and host Ruffa Guttierez commenting on the win of Janina San Miguel. That fueled my curiosity more thus the following day, I searched for a clip of its coverage. [Watch video]

I can’t hold back my laughs as I tried to comprehend what she was saying and how she tried to amuse herself out of her situation.

Unfortunately, I can’t find other video clips that could show me how the other candidates of the Top 10 performed in the interview portion hence I have no basis whether the others did better than her (i.e., she might be just be bad and somebody else is worse). Yet, I do not find Janina’s answer fit of a beauty queen especially that Bb. Pilipinas is one of the most prestigious pageants in the country.

Further, I was looking for the proper speech and manners expected of most beauty queens. Agent Gracie Heart (Sandra Bullock – Miss Congeniality) had been corrected by her mentor for Ms. United States when she used “yeah” instead of “yes”. Didn’t Janina used “guys” to refer to the audience? Honestly, I find something unnatural and funny with her facial expressions; I’m so sorry, they’re really was (error intended)

It makes me think therefore that if Janina could win, the standards of BPCI may have declined to a level of being too forgiving to its recruits or maybe, the weights of the criteria might be imbalanced.

Further, I wonder why it seemed that Bb. Pilipinas-World is given better regard than Bb. Pilipinas-Universe. Although we know that the three titles of Binibini are of equal rank because all its bearers get to compete in the international arena, throughout the years, BPCI had established the impression that Ms. Universe is regarded best among the other two hence when the 1999 Bb. Pilipinas-Universe Janelle Bautista was dethroned due to other issues, then Bb. Pilipnas-World Miriam Quiambao took-over and represented the country in the Ms.Universe pageant in Trinidad and Tobago were she finished 1st Runner-up. This year though, Bb. Pilipinas-World was announced last and Janina even stood in between the two other titlists.

I have to agree with Ruffa that Janina should take the challenge to improve her weaknesses in preparation for Ms. World pageant. It seems that the only way she could redeem herself is to bring home the crown and be Philippine’s first-ever Miss World.

I never thought we would have our own equivalent of Miss Teen South Carolina 2007 a year after Lauren Caitlin Upton created waves in America. Anyway, they both finished in the top 5 and were applauded in the swimsuit competitions.

Hah! Imagine them meeting everywhere such as and talking about maps and families. I’m so sorry, I don’t mean to be mean. (Pun intended)

2 comments:

Jason Roth said...

That video is so funny. You're right, it's very reminiscent of our Miss Teen South Carolina, though not quite as bad. Do you think her answer was a result of a combination of nerves and poor English speaking skills?

oxygen said...

RE: roth family

The pressure of being on stage is justified. But her communication skills? Try as I may, I really find it ridiculous because FYI she takes up Mass Communications in college! And besides, I share the view of others that since this is a Filipino pageant, it's not prohibited to answer in our language as long as it has substance. It is simple: speak either Filipino or English but be sure to make sense.