Saturday, May 31, 2008

Flowers for Dorothy

While we’re walking to the canteen to buy breakfast the day before her birthday, Doth, our bubbly network administrator caught sight of the flowering shrubs planted at one side of the path and blurted, “I love the flowers! Its color is just the right shade of yellow that I want.”

The next day, I punched in earlier than everybody else in our workroom to become her wish-granting genie. I plucked 10 stems of the flowers and immediately placed them in a dipper I found in the restroom and half-filled it with water while our office isn’t open yet since I don’t have a key. As soon as a colleague with a duplicate got in, I went inside and emptied an ice cream canister that I use as a pen holder and sought help from our 2 trusty OJTs; one rinsed the canister and the other searched for a pair of scissors.

I cut the stems so that it’ll stand just right in the pintsize canister. (Fact: the canister was from Doth herself when she shared with me 1/3 of her Blueberry ice cream almost a year ago). Unfortunately Doth arrived while I was finishing the last two stalks so the surprise was spoiled. Nonetheless, she said she appreciated the effort very much.

I made the final touches of the simple arrangement and tried to present the blossoms in its best look despite the several creases in its delicate petals before handing to our celebrant who immediately placed it on top of the coffeemaker in her cube.


The yellow present


The celebrant enjoying her own meal in the restaurant where she treated us


Doth giving a sweet smile


The buds bloomed into fresher flowers the next day

1 comment:

Jason Roth said...

What an extremely kind gesture. You really pay attention. I need to do more of that for my wife.