Friday, November 13, 2009

reunions

Getting in touch with friends who were for some time away always feels good. Recently, I’ve gotten to see again some of my mates and ours were reunions of laughter and a lot of catching up

So here's Irene, my classmate for 2 years in computer programming...


She happened to be applying for copies of her credentials from our school where I now teach and coincidentally I was in the campus that morning she visited; prettier and noticeably thinner than couple of years ago. We used to text and e-mail even after graduation but became less frequent since her resignation from her job.







Meet Dave. Not Eddie Murphy’s character but uh...Dave. Fans of Blogger might already know him as the author of the Coconuter blog which once made it to the “Blogs of Note”. It was through his blog that the line of connection was re-established. Prior the Blogger recognition, Coconuter has been online for about a year or so I think and it’s famous here in the Philippines having been featured on TV and in various groups. I was just literally browsing when I came across it without the slightest idea that the sensational blogger was a classmate in first grade. Unfortunately, we have no photo to prove that.

I faintly recognized his profile photo but had the strong feeling of familiarity enough for me to make the first e-mail. And the rest is history.

During the peak of the Coconuter prominence, which is contrary to the struggles that were actually experienced by him and which Dave is telling in his posts, our communication was expectedly sparse and limited to blog comments.

I remember Dave as the very quiet boy who wore glasses and just nodded or shook his head to most things offered and said to him. But just as we, the typical Pinoys (Filipinos), were always enthralled to every student with foreign lineage in our school, Iws eager to make playmates but Dave is stiffly just not into playing in class.

Fast forward 18 years later, who would have thought that our roads shall meet again and I’m so honored meeting Coconuter himself again – and this time, he’s talking.








Open wide! Indeed, we were smiling wide each other when Raechelle and I met in her clinic for my oral prophylaxis. My new dentist was a classmate from preschool to second grade.



“Who would have thought? Raechelle who had no teeth would become a dentist”, I teased her. Well, She did have teeth but I would hate to describe how bad they were. Despite that, she was always helpful. I remember our parents had informally made us like ‘backup’ of each other for contingencies. Whenever she’s absent, her mom borrowed my notes and the reciprocal happened when I was confined in the hospital for typhoid fever. It’s always that way.

We lost connection though when I was accelerated thus graduated ahead of her. And this exactly is the next thing: I was in her clinic and she worked on my mouth for hours. The girl who used to have poor teeth told me I have some abnormal clicking of the jaw and gingivitis too, and taught me how to floss properly.


2 comments:

Soul Yaoi said...

Daming reunion ah!

Anonymous said...

Excellent topic