Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ruminating

If I am an art masterpiece now, I’m The Thinker.

I’m pondering about this yet unofficial offer to be the Editor-In-Chief of our school publication now that our EIC had graduated. It is unofficial because the Feature Editor who’s also unofficially recommended for the chief position urges me to take it instead; her reasons I don’t understand very well. On the other hand, our adviser casually mentioned it to me right after this year’s graduation ceremonies which I only attended as an usher hence I consider that unofficial just the same.

Aside from being informally offered, I’m hesitant about it because first, editorial writing is not my forte. The courteous person I am, it’s hard for me to speak and write bluntly which is how editorials should be done. More often than not, editorial is the EIC’s job. Second, the culture of our Editorial Board demands the EIC to be flexible and that means being able to augment – more appropriately tolerate – what your staff fails to do. Therefore, if for some reason the Layout Artist cannot, had not done, or did not do his job, the EIC must be Superman. Such could be a late night’s toil for me as a working-student especially if my deadlines are free-flowing.

Having been a former EIC in another school and as the current Associate Editor who was able to fill-in by myself 2.5 pages of the 10-page latest issue, I have no qualms about what to write not to mention that I’ll be enjoying a bigger discount in fees as EIC compared to what I avail as a working-student. But still, I’m reconsidering things in case the bid becomes official.

2 comments:

Jason Roth said...

Congrats on being considered for the position. As you said, EIC is a very important and demanding postition. I understand your hesitation. But something tells me that you're not afraid of a good challenge. It can only make you stronger and better.

oxygen said...

RE: roth family

Thanks for the encouragement.

Hope that Zane has fully recovered by now and back to his super active mode