Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dennis: Reaping Success Successively

Congratulations to Dennis for completing his Bachelor’s degree in Secondary Education Major in English and graduating cum laude.

I’ve mentioned him in 3 posts prior this and it’s likely that more will come so it’s time I introduce to you the man.

While in college, Dennis had been earning for himself impressive credentials. Having been a competent member (oftentimes a leader too) of their debate team and having been offered to teach in the school where he had his practicum even though he opted not to stay for long are his humblest achievements I’ve known.

“I do not want to treat students as mere clients who pay me so that they can do to me whatever they want”, he repines about his rude foreign students who are non-English-speaking hence the trouble of insisting the value of English Literature in their curriculum. His decision to leave the school is not all about giving up but rather it's to reserve his time and effort for those who are more willing to learn.

We first met in a regional competition in extemporaneous speech early 2007. This guy’s not a blabbermouth of his proficiency except of course when it was his turn to deliver and that’s when I was dumbstruck by the influx of his ideas and I could only mutter to myself, “How on Earth does he do that?” He emerged champion and went on to compete in the Nationals roughly a year after and eventually won the gold too.

Few weeks before their graduation ceremonies, he was a nominee for The Outstanding Students of the Cordillera Administrative Region (interestingly, OSCAR) and made it to the roster of finalists despite his apprehension that he’ll fall short of the criterion for community service. This distinction qualifies him for the upcoming search for Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines.

Currently, he’s taking his MA in English Major in Literature while reviewing for the licensure exam.

More important than these, he’s no menace (pun intended) but rather a good person who values faith, family, and friendship. Only once did we meet again after the first in 2007 but distance is offset by his keeping in touch for he makes sure to communicate as often as possible. He calls himself a “trying hard” but I guess that means he tries hard to give the best in his craft and become a better person each time.

Just like his favorite beverage – coffee that is – his company livens up the mood and could sometimes make your heart palpitate with his stories of brave adventures which he still considers fun.

I can say no better thing of him than his favorite expression and I quote, “Loves it!”


Dennis having a great time at the OSCAR camp


The author with Dennis and his best friend, Lalaine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoah!!! What can I say? Thanks Gen! Hahahah. Great narration I could almost see myself having a standing ovation.
Seriously, I really needed that... especially these times where I'm having difficulty dealing with reality (as subject to my own perception of course)
Continue inspiring others. And yeah, your'e right. LOVES IT. :0)

Simply,
Dennis

Jason Roth said...

Congrats to Dennis. What a great tribute!