Sunday, August 31, 2008

Motivating the Graduates of 2008

For this year’s graduation, an Alma Mater invited me to be their guest speaker. The first time it was announced to me by a former mentor who now works as Admissions Officer in the institution, I felt more apprehensive than excited because as a young civil servant who’s still pursuing a college degree, I don’t think I deserve the merit as compared to what most would expect of commencement speakers – those who have impressive academic and professional achievements. Even so, they said they wanted an alumnus to be the guest speaker and since the school is more of a technical learning center than a formal college, a stable job in the industry I guess gauges the success of their graduates.

The big day came and I did my job as speaker. I delivered the message which I prepared for a couple of days making sure that it doesn’t sound too scholarly and wouldn’t exceed 15 minutes; something I myself as an audience could relate to and endure. I just provided some personal pointers about knowing one’s passion and strengths, going the extra mile, the importance of listening and never taking things for granted. To make my young audience at ease, I shared my personal experience how I was nobody in high school belonging to the bottom of the class before I became the better student that the institution knew. I also injected sufficient humor (isn’t it evident in the photos?) and refreshed their attention by asking questions that would make them raise hands. It was a choice to include just a little something of the theme about how business and IT provides boundless opportunities because I don’t want to elaborate on something everybody have an idea about. Thankfully, I still achieved my goal on substance and the time frame.

This experience was truly a privilege: to be warmly welcomed, be given a proud entrance by passing through crossed swords (my sibling was one of the cadets and she had a share of the limelight answering queries from her curious colleagues), see my name on a tarp, be seated next to distinguished officials, receive a standing ovation, shake hands with all the graduates and have the lion’s share of a sumptuous dinner. Above all these is the opportunity to be reunited with people who I know believe in me.


1 comment:

Jason Roth said...

Congrats! It sounds like your speech was inspiring. Very well done.