Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sojourn in Baguio: Which Has Been Typical, The Place or The Experience?

To travel by myself is an experience I had long yearned for. The rather sheltered manner I was raised and the non-availability of personal finances then denied me of the independence I needed to fulfill that personal goal. The milestone happened months after I joined the workforce and weeks before my 19th birthday; a trip to a mall no two hours via public transport even without taking the shortcut. It was an achievement that ended my innocence but wouldn’t impress the majority who went to college in a far city at age 16. I was satisfied for sometime.

Three years after, the yearning for similar adventure resurfaced but with more intensity. I wanted to go somewhere farther yet no idea where. Until the recent company trips to Baguio City for 2 years in a row made me consider it a destination. ‘Consider’ underrates Baguio for there are no options. If it has to be done now, only Pines City is achievable.

  • Seven-hour travel = farther destination. Check.
  • Friends who reside in the area = assurance of good company plus savings in accommodation and tour services. Check.
  • Three special leave privileges sandwiching 2 days off = longer stay. Check

3 out of 3 in the criteria made Baguio perfect for the purpose


Arrival

This took me there


The second bus departed at 4AM; the schedule I chose so I’ll arrive in my destination by lunchtime. Dennis and Lalaine have their tutoring jobs in the morning and won’t be free until noon. Eventually, I overestimated the travel time and arrived earlier because I forgot to take into account the improvement of roads and bus engines over the years. Good thing that the bus terminal there – known for its unique architecture – has a neat waiting area.

The book I brought along kept me busy while waiting for my hosts to fetch me. The only problem was much as I felt the need to pee I can’t leave my bags unattended but are too bulky to bring with me in the CR.

Lunch out was first in the itinerary after reuniting with my friends then rode a taxi to Lalaine’s place.

Ascending Marcos Highway – major entry road to the city proper



Waiting at the bus terminal



The House

The residence is on a hill. A message that reads “BE HAPPY” boldly hand-painted on the fence welcomed me although I guess it had been there for some time already for it is of the same color as the gate’s. The garage serves as kitchen and laundry. Upon entering the living room, I immediately noticed the framed cross-stitch crafts and had to compliment Lalaine’s mom for her skill and diligence. The house itself is small but very cozy and tidy; its wooden floor almost as glossy as a bowling alley.

By the corner of the reception is a small dining area with a mini-bar without the liquor bottles – basically an elbow-high shelf where stuff was kept and where we stood by while having coffee. Blinds that identify the doors of 4 bedrooms hung from the sides of the short corridor. I was given Lalaine’s room; her pictures are displayed everywhere. She no longer sleeps there thus it serves more as a study-slash-wardrobe area recently. I opened the window and felt the cool mist brush my face. It revealed a vast array of rooftops and distant winding streets enveloped by fog. Dennis had mentioned that the hill is among the places that are always foggy even when the sun is high over downtown Baguio.

I dozed off while my friends attended their classes by 4PM until evening. Aside from it’s a good chance to rest, I insisted that my stay should only alter their routines as little as possible.

It’s funny that they both complained later and regretted attending their respective classes when there was nothing significant in school for that day.


The Living Room


View from my window (Day 1)


View from my window (Day 2)



View from my window (Day 5)


Clouds blocking the view of Marcos Highway from the balcony of the house




Unmatched Hospitality

My hosts are the best one could ever have. I was wowed and moved by the hospitality of our own people which is internationally recognized as one-of-a-kind.

Lalaine offered their place even when we were just introduced to each other last June.

The night before my arrival, Dennis rushed his queued homework so as “not to get in the way during your [my] stay”.

Lalaine was a dutiful host. She planned and cooked meals according to a pescatarian’s diet. This lady’s a good cook who could turn the simplest recipe into a very satisfying one!

Her mom is equally endearing. Despite the natural firmness in her voice, she’s kind and an interesting conversationalist. We chatted on various things while my friends were out and I took the chance to ask how she raised her children to be diligent students since all 5 siblings each finished at least 2 degrees; 4 are now professionals. Lalaine herself took up Law immediately after completing her AB Political Science last term.

I also learned that it was by her mom’s order that Lalaine bought a plastic table wrap before they picked me up from the terminal so we could use a new one.

Dennis on the other hand kept me company most of the time although I knew beforehand that his mom is scheduled to undergo chemo that time and was actually confined on the day I arrived. I actually offered to pay a visit to the hospital or help him with errands but he said everything’s taken care by his dad and siblings.

Before they left me the afternoon of the first day, Den said that he’ll be seeing me again the next day already but nonetheless returned to spend the evening with us.

These plus the extra expenses for our needs during my stay they willingly provided.

It was first-class service that could have spoilt me. A good treatment I cannot believe I deserve but was given to me.

As gratitude, I tried to lend a hand with the chores, volunteered to do the dishes every time and share with the purchases.

Dennis and I while having a snack @ a coffee shop


And this is what I had...


1 comment:

Jason Roth said...

Your friends are very hospitable. If only all people can be so kind. I'm looking forward to reading part two of your adventure.