Thursday, November 20, 2008

Uh oh...

Foremost, I congratulate (again) my good friend Gracie who’s now a Licensed Customs Broker.

*****

It was on the testimonial dinner honoring the school’s alumni who passed the recent professional board exams for Electronics and Communications Engineers (ECEs) and for Customs Brokers which I attended as a journalist for the school publication. There were most of the successful examinees and their families, local dignitaries, college heads and faculty, and of course food and drinks.

As the occasion marked record-breaking events – the school’s first batch of ECEs in 5 years of operation and the phenomenal ranking of 4 alumni in the Top 10 including the highest score in the Customs licensure – it has been likewise remarkable for me. First, I downed almost two tall glasses of tequila-based cocktails which so far the most I had drank in my life resulting to my first-ever experience of its kick and second I had my first-known allergic reaction.

I came home almost midnight, did my bedtime rituals and fell asleep. Three hours later, I was awakened by intense itch on the forearms and thighs. Thinking that mosquitoes were the culprits, I semi-consciously (as in without opening an eye) secured my blanket and scratched myself until I fell asleep of exhaustion.

By daytime, the itch had subsided but my sister noticed the unusual redness and remarked with admiration; she liked it as if it’s fair skin that blushes when it gets ample sunshine. The possibility that it is allergy didn’t occur to me until I awoke from my afternoon nap with the intensity of the irritation recurring.

I rushed to our company clinic where a solution which I believe is a quick-effecting antihistamine was injected in me and was prescribed with tablets I took for the next few days.

Since it’s the first time to happen, I still cannot tell what triggered the allergy. There were prawns but I do not react to the seafood before unless maybe something was wrong with the quality of those served that night. Or could it be the tequila? Or maybe prawns and tequila do not go together after all.

No comments: