Thursday, January 8, 2009

Relief: An Element of Exam that is a Subset of Math

Classes had resumed and the first few days were spent getting back if not checking our exam papers for the recent grading period. Our instructor in Discrete Math gave the first dreadful news of 2009: that only two in the class passed the prelim exams. I still could mimic very well how emphasis was provided to the word ‘passed’ implying scores which merely gripped the rope’s end therefore aren’t very impressive. My! We’re shaking our heads as we looked at each other anxiously.

Who could be the lucky ‘survivors?

Four test booklets were handed out then mine. A glance to the score box at the cover and I looked to the ceiling in gratitude – I made it. True enough, I got exactly half of the total correctly. Eventually, the other guy scored the same.

Flashback to last month… Admittedly, most of us underestimated that exam. Personally, I reviewed on all my subjects except on that. Our seatwork and quizzes were basically deriving sets. Absolute complements, unions and intersections. We’re accustomed that reference sets were given therefore minimal brainwork is required. We’re just shocked to see that in the exams, more effort is necessary since we need to solve for the reference sets themselves to be able to advance to the succeeding items. Risky indeed! An early mistake guarantees later errors; GIGO principle.

I used to be more competitive during my earlier years in college. But as time passed by, many factors downgraded that competitiveness. Increment in age mean more responsibilities. More things to do would occasionally exhaust me. Exhaustion leads to lesser concentration which eventually results to memory lapses. However I’ve not given up. I still give my best to sustain my diligence as a student. It’s just that today, I reward myself with healthy leniency. Let the others reap the medals. Every experience, lessons learned and friends gained are priceless trophies.

Besides, in the overall rating for Discrete Math, I ranked second so far. Three more grading periods; so help me God.

No comments: