Saturday, February 28, 2009

fortunately for me

YEESSSS! I got a perfect score for pre-final exams in Discrete Math. And it was also the first time I had finished an exam in that class before time was up.

A couple of nights before we got the results, I had a bad dream. I dreamt that I only got one item correctly. So when reality proved otherwise, I was actually more relieved than overjoyed about it. I muttered a brief prayer of thanks.

For few friends however, the day hadn’t been as good. One lost her wallet which contains an ATM card, a ring, and cash amounting 15,000 pesos. Worse, her camera phone was also missing; all these she was quite sure were in her bag. With her awful dismay she wished she rather lost the whole bag than find its zipper broken which only confirmed that the items were stolen – in the computer laboratory. I’ve learned that later on, the wallet was found in the ladies’ room, empty.

For two other classmates, misfortune was when their capstone project was deemed not feasible for implementation after the academic website (suddenly) integrated a feature that’s similar to the system they’re proposing. As a result, they have to come up with another project which would not have been as disheartening if they aren’t aiming to graduate next month. My, I feel sad for them. Why wouldn’t the panel consider the fact that these students has been working hard on their proposal for the whole semester already while the subject functionality was “coincidentally” integrated to the school’s website just a few days ago? Is it to be charged against them if they weren’t informed that the school has been working on a similar system already? Could we regard it as mere coincidence that the school’s developer uploaded a similar system few days before our classmates were scheduled to defend their project when from the very beginning, the developer served as their contact person on the ways and means of the system? We wish our assumptions are wrong…

2 comments:

Lavhie said...

congrats gen, i think your opinion is quite right, we have the same idea, actually that's what im telling to abby and agnes, so sad really, bid goodluck for me to aie and nikki.

Jason Roth said...

Congrats to you. Your friends' misfortunes are sad but, unfortunately, part of life. I hope they all pull through okay.